Street Photography in San Juan
San Juan is the capital and largest city of Puerto Rico on the island’s north coast—perfect for street photography. The city is well-known for its historic landmarks, colourful architecture, and lively street scenes. I took the street photos of San Juan below during a trip in 2011.
Old San Juan District: A Popular Spot for Street Photography
One of the main attractions in San Juan is the Old San Juan district, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It features many colonial-era buildings, narrow streets, and historical landmarks such as the El Morro Fortress and the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista. The district is also a popular spot for street photography. Its colourful houses, street vendors, and bustling plazas provide stunning subjects for street photographers.
Moreover, the city has a bustling street life, with vendors selling food and crafts in the many plazas and markets throughout the city. Visitors can also enjoy the city’s beaches, parks, and museums, which offer additional opportunities for photography.
Tips for Taking Street Photos in San Juan
- San Juan is a diverse city with many distinct neighbourhoods, each with its character and charm. Take the time to explore different city areas to find stunning locations for your street photos.
- The city is known for its vibrant street art scene. Colourful murals and graffiti adorn many buildings. So, include street art in your photos.
- The warm weather and abundant sunshine make San Juan a good city for natural light photography. Look for light and shadow patterns to create visually striking photos.
- Moreover, San Juan is a lively city with plenty of street life. Look for interesting characters and moments that tell a story and capture the city’s essence.
- San Juan has a mix of historic and modern architecture. Look for interesting buildings and structures to include in your street photos.
- The city is also brimming with bright colours, so don’t be afraid to experiment! Look for colour combinations and contrasts to create visually striking images.
Lastly, take the time to explore the city and wait for the right moment to take that perfect shot. With some patience and persistence, you can capture some truly stunning photos that showcase the beauty and vibrancy of San Juan.
Overall, San Juan is a vibrant and colourful city with a rich cultural heritage and many interesting subjects for street photography. Whether you’re exploring the historic Old San Juan district or the city’s lively street scenes and neighbourhoods, there’s always something (and someone) interesting to capture with your camera in San Juan.
Street Photography in San Juan: The Photos
Check out the street photos of San Juan below that I took during a trip in 2011.
San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Canon EOS 5D camera with a 24-105mm lens.
Did you enjoy this blog post? If so, please like and share. Thank you!